A brief news update. On August 31st, Twitter is going to be disabling the existing HTTP authentication method for logging in and tweeting using the Twitter API. Unfortunately, all versions of Speeed Reader use this method to share articles on Twitter. I will not be providing an update implementing the new method (OAuth) because of the difficulty and lack of time.
As a workaround, if you use SMS to update your twitter account, you can share your articles via SMS and send them to the designated number for your Twitter account.
I apologize ahead if time for the inconvenience.
A Speeed Reader update to v0.95. This update is specifically for those using it on Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional. WM6.1 Pro users cannot use v1.15 because the browser doesn’t not respond to touch. Only Windows Mobile 6.5 users are able to interact with the Speeed Reader browser in v1.15. Please download v0.95 if you are a Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional user. If you are a Windows Mobile 6.5 user and you download v0.95, you will break browser functionality.
New Speeed Reader version fixes the login issue. Thanks for everyone who reported the issue. This was a quick fix thanks to the open source community giving me a tip. You can download the new copy here.
Speeed Reader v1.16
Also, I am transitioning to a new twitter account (twitter.com/eeennoMobile) as I venture into new free and paid software titles for multiple platforms. Thanks for the support!
Here it is, Speeed Reader v1.15. This release fixes one bug:
- Some feeds with weird characters in the URL may not be marked as read correctly.
I have also posted all the source code for Speeed Reader v1.15 as a Google Open Source Project. The only thing I am not able to post is the license key for the user interface controls (the DLL is posted, but is in trial mode since the license key is missing). The controls are proprietary technology.
I ran into some issues building Speeed Reader v1.30. I will build that and post it this weekend when I have some more time to debug.
Finally, license key for Speeed Reader: 858Bf079Jj
In my perfect world, all software would be open-source and freely available. With that said in the coming weeks the following is going to occur:
- All versions of Speeed Reader will become free again
- I will open source 95% of the Speeed Reader codebase. The other 5% is proprietary technology (user interface controls) and I don’t have the rights to that.
- I will build and release a beta Speeed Reader v1.20. This was the version I’ve been working on up until lately, but alas, I underestimated the time that would be needed to complete v1.2. Instead of just holding on to it, I will be releasing it to the public. It contains some substantial UI and caching changes. With that said, it’s probably buggy…so use at your own discretion. Iwill release the codebase to this as well.
The reason I am doing this is I am transitioning to other types of personal mobile software projects on the Android software platform and don’t have the time needed to continue active feature development for Speeed Reader. Also, I interface with the Google Reader API (which is technically private). Developers who want some code samples on how to interact with the Google Reader API will get a chance once they download and browse my source code.
I have to get my open source licenses sorted out, but its coming soon.